We understand the you will have a lot of questions while taking such an important decision that will determine the course of your professional career. Based on our experience of answering such questions of prospective students over the years, we have anticipated some of your questions and compiled them in a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) below. If your question is not answered in this section, please feel free to contact our help desk either by email or by personally visiting the nearest WLC campus.
Click below for more information on any of the following :
- Awarding Bodies
- Course Details
- Course duration and timings
- Exchange Programme
- Advantage of WLC courses
- About WLC
- Career Opportunities
- Who awards the qualifying degrees and diplomas for the under graduate courses?
Under-graduates (2years & 3years) – WLC & EDEXCEL
Certification from Wigan & Leigh, UK in case diploma courses (2 years)
Certification from WLC, UK & EDEXCEL in case of advanced diploma (3 years) viz., “HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA”
- Who awards the BBA Degree?
BBA: At the end of 2 years the candidate is awarded a “HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA”
Moving ahead, at the end of 3rd year the candidate is awarded a Degree from the University of Sunderland.
- What is EDEXCEL?
Quite simply, EDEXCEL provides qualifications that help to shape and change people’s lives.
Edexcel was formed in 1996 by the merger of two well-respected bodies, BTEC (the Business & Technology Education Council) and ULEAC (the University of London Examinations and Assessment Council). Both were leaders in their respective fields of academic and vocational qualifications. Now Edexcel provides a very wide range of qualifications to cater to all needs and learning styles.
EDEXCEL believe strongly in the parity of esteem of vocational and general qualifications and it works to ensure that all our qualifications retain their value and credibility through a consistently high standard of assessment.
- What is CIM/CIMA?
These are two reputed professional bodies that have important relevance in the fields of marketing and management accountancy.
CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF MARKETING:
CIM has over 60,000 members and students. Teaching quality awards have been introduced for CIM tuition centres as part of CIM’s commitment to bring in continuous improvement. Internationally, CIM is stronger than ever, with new branches in Sri Lanka, Singapore and Malaysia. New study centres in India and the Ukraine, bring the worldwide total to some 400. Despite much change during a turbulent century, CIM rests on the same cornerstone now as it did in 1911 – every business needs customers, and must adapt to satisfy their needs profitably.
CHATERED INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTS:
CIMA is an independent body of the UK under the Royal Charter specializing in management accountancy, the most relevant financial qualification in business today. CIMA’s focus is to qualify students, support members and employers, and protect the public interest.
CIMA is the voice of over 77,000 students and 59,000 members in 154 countries. Accreditation to CIMAmakes us unique, and we are internationally recognized as offering the most important financial qualification for business.
In a recent survey, 68% of employers in the UK chose CIMA as their preferred professional qualification. CIMA’s commercial relevance of syllabus is continually enhanced to reflect the latest developments in business. In an age of growing globalization and intense competition, the Chartered Management Accountant is fully prepared to meet the need for timely and accurate financial information. CIMA members and students work across all business sectors at all levels throughout the world, demonstrating the flexibility of the qualification.
- What is the registration procedure in CIM/ CIMA?
The candidates while pursuing PGDBM at WLC have papers that are a part of CIM & CIMA courses. WLC can also get him/her separately registered for the CIM/ CIMA examinations.
- What is the difference between Higher National Diploma & Higher National Certificate?
HNC is a progression to HND.
All the courses offered at WLC comprises units from HND
- If one has enrolled for a 2-year programme and wants to shift to a 3 Year Programme?
At the end of 2nd year shift into Advanced Diploma is not possible, but in case the candidate is in the midst of the 1year he/she is in a position to progress to the 1st year of advanced diploma by completing certain additional projects.
- Is it possible to convert PG Diploma into MBA in India/ UK?
Advanced Diploma can be further carried forward and converted into a Degree from any of the universities by transferring the credits and also through additional paper work. Conversion duration could be from 1 year to 2 years
- How many batches have passed out from WLC India till now for each course?
Successfully completed batches for each course from 1999 onwards are as follows:
Management: 7 batches
Fashion: 5 Batches
Design: 3 Batches
- Can a student take up PG-4 year course after the completion of the second year of BBA?
A student can take up PG-4 after the completion of the second year of BBA in case he/she drops the idea of going to UK in the last year.
- What are the details about the courses offered?
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management with Specialisation in Marketing, Finance, HR, International Trade (PGDBM) – 2 years, full time
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) – twining programme, 2 years in India and 1 year in UK
4 years Integrated Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management for undergraduates
- Post Graduate Diploma in Advertising and Marketing Communication (PGDAMC) – 2 years, full time
- Post Graduate Diploma in Visual Communication – 1 ½ years, full time
- Post Graduate Diploma in Interactive Multimedia – 1 ½ years, full time
- Advance Diploma in Advertising and Graphic Design – 3 years, full time
- Diploma in Advertising and Graphic Design – 2 years, part time
- Post Graduate Diploma in Apparel Merchandising and Marketing (PGDAMM) – 2 years, full time
- Post Graduate Diploma in Fashion Technology – 1 ½ years, full time
- Advance Diploma in Fashion Technology- 3 years, full time
- Diploma in Fashion Technology – 2 years, part time
- Post graduate Diploma in Mass Communication – 1 ½ years, full time
- Advance Diploma in Media Studies – 3 years, full time
- Hospitality Management
Advance Diploma in Hospitality Management – 3 years, full time
- How many students have been to UK, since the inception of WLC India?
A total of 300 students from Wigan & Leigh India have gone to UK since 1996.
- What is the Fee Structure for study in UK?
£ 3000 for each semester (exclusive of stay & travel)
- What is the cost involved in boarding and lodging?
£ 50 per week approx. for boarding and lodging.
- Is their availability of part time jobs in UK?
Yes, there is availability of part-time jobs in UK. Each candidate has an advantage of working 22 hrs. in a week as per rules.
- Do the college guarantee placements in UK after the completion of last semester?
No, the college does not guarantee placements in UK after the successful completing of course.
- Do the college help in getting Visas?
The college provides helping hand to the students in getting visas for their further education in UK.
- How many visas have been rejected till date?
- What is the ranking of Wigan in UK?
Wigan & Leigh is the Fifth Largest further education institution in UK with worldwide reputation for quality education and have been awarded the ‘Centre of Excellence’ award by the association of business schools in the UK. As per the rigorous UK Govt. inspection, the college has been awarded an outstanding 34% of grade one against a national average of 13% confirming the leading position of the world.
Advantage of WLC courses
- Why should any individual prefer Wigan & Leigh College to other Business schools?
Advantages accrued by the students in Wigan & Leigh is as follows:
- Traineeship: A unique feature, which gives an opportunity to apply theory to practice. Chance to earn while learning.
- 150-year-old college that enjoys a reputation for quality education and an active presence in 26 countries around the world.
- The best available faculty in India. The faculty has been exposed to the latest teaching methodology by experts from Wigan & Leigh College, UK.
- Meticulous, unbiased assessment procedure at par with international standards that awards a diploma after achieving standard grades
- The teaching methodology is student centered, highly interactive and project based where they work on real life situations.
- Exposure to a student centered learning methodology where the student gets to practice what he learns, ensuring powerful skill formation and retention.
- Strict audits by quality specialists from Wigan and Leigh College, UK to ensure imparting of quality education worldwide.
- What is the possibility of doing higher studies in India after completing studies with Wigan & Leigh College?
The students are in a position to continue their qualification with any University after their successful completion of education with Wigan & Leigh. However, it depends on the University to accept the student’s candidature or not.
- Total Alumni till date?
Total numbers of Alumni till date are 3500.
- What do you mean by Traineeship programme?
The Traineeship programme is the heart of our teaching methodology. We believe that learning must not only take place in the class room, but simultaneously at the work place. Our traineeship programme offers a hands-on approach to the students in their chosen profession, and an opportunity to work with the best in industry.
All students pursuing programmes in Advertising & Graphic Design, Fashion Technology, Media Studies, Business Management and Hospitality Management are eligible for the traineeship programme.
Simultaneous to pursuing the programme, students are selected by one of our industry partners to work in their offices on assignments directly related to their chosen course, and are paid an attractive stipend for their services. Classroom sessions are held in the morning for 3 hours a day, following which the students work in the offices of their industry partner.
These students are usually placed in the management cadre of these companies on successful completion of their programme and satisfactory work performance during the traineeship period.
Industry partners for the WLC traineeship programme
The effectiveness of any educational programme lies in its application to business and the industry. Our Industry partners play the crucial part in providing our students with an opportunity to perform relevant work in their chosen industries.
- Asian Age
- Business World
- Carrier Aircon
- Coldwell Banker
- Duncan Industries
- Electrolux Kelvinator Ltd.
- E-serve International
- Exide India
- Garban Capital
- Godrej Appliances
- HDFC Bank
- ICICI Bank
- Karvathealth Care
- Kotak Mahindra Finance
- Kotak Securities
- Legal Pandits.com
- LKP Forex
- Ma Foi Consultants
- MacMillan India
- MafatLal Consumer Finance Company
- MMG Reality
- Paash Financial
- Powernet Technologies
- Sercon India
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Stock Holding Corporation Of India
- Stollberg India
- Swift Corporation
- Tata TD Waterhouse
- TLC MArketing
- UA Exchange
- Unitex Carpets
B) Advertising & Graphic Design
- Bates India
- Chail Advertising
- Contract Advertising India Ltd.
- Crayons Advertising
- Euro RSCG Advertising Pvt. ltd.
- Everest Integrated Communication
- FCB ULKA Advertising Ltd.
- Fountain Head Communications
- Gopika Chawla
- Grey World Pvt. Ltd.
- J Walter Thompson India
- Leo Burnett India Pvt. Ltd.
- Lintas Advertising
- MAA Bozell Communications Ltd.
- McCann Erickson India Ltd.
- Mudra Communication
- NDTV Mumbai
- Ogilway & Mathew Pvt. Ltd.
- Percept Advertinsing
- Prime Site
- R K Swamy BBDO Avertising Ltd.
- Rediffusion – DYR
- Sahara India
- Sneh Advertising
- TBWA Anthem Ltd.
C) Fashion Technology
- Aparna Chandra
- Ashish Soni
- Ashley Rebello
- Bhartiya International
- Colours Active Wear
- Dhruv Global
- Fashion Expressions
- Gabbana Fashions
- Golden Strand Ltd.
- J.J. Vallaya
- Janak Agencies
- Jattin Kochhar
- London Fashion
- Madhu Chawla Design Trend Pvt. Ltd.
- Naseem Creations
- Saru International
- Shamken Cotsyn Ltd.
- Shivalik Global Pvt. Ltd.
- Shoppers Stop
- Sushobhit Creations
- The Ramp
- Wasan Overseas
- Does The Govt. of India recognize Wigan & Leigh?
- Wigan & Leigh College, UK is one of the largest Government owned and funded colleges in UK. The College is accredited and approved by the British Government.
- Qualifications awarded by Wigan & Leigh College in India are exactly the same as those offered in the UK and other countries.
- Students who have graduated from the College in India are successfully pursuing further studies in leading colleges/ universities worldwide.
- All programmes delivered in India are subject to UK quality standards and are monitored by representatives from UK. Wigan & Leigh College (I) offers all its students the option to carry out part of their study in the UK. This is possible as courses and qualifications are identical.
- Wigan & Leigh College in India has an excellent placement track record with students placed with the best of the Indian industry.
- The college is a member of the Educational Counseling Service of the British Council Division and the above facts maybe verified at the British Council, 17, Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi.
- What is the difference between Degree & Diploma?
Diplomas are awarded by Colleges/Institutions and Degrees are awarded by Universities.
- Faculty details?
At Wigan & Leigh, you will find yourself under the guidance of a faculty with an excellent academic and professional background in specialized fields. The faculty members from Wigan, UK regularly train our faculty who are professionals and have rich and varied experience in industry.
IIM graduates, CIM/CIMA members and professional represent management faculty from the industry India and abroad.
The fashion faculty consists of alumni of NIFT and other top fashion schools in India & abroad.
The advertising and design faculty comprises of College of Art, NID and other design institute alumni. They are practicing designers, creative directors and consultants.
- Career Path ways in various courses?
Advertising and Graphic Designing:
The courses aims to develop skills to enable students to work as Art Directors, Visualizers, Creative Consultants, Graphic Designers, Photographers, etc.
The course grooms students to be Fashion Designers, Production Managers, Fashion Coordinators, Quality Controllers, Illustrators etc.
Media Studies & Mass Communication:
At Wigan & Leigh, Media Studies and Mass Communication are truly comprehensive courses converging several media. The courses equip students to work in Television, Print, Internet and Radio. At the end of the courses students have hands-on skills to work as Producers, Directors, Cinematographers, Editors, Reporters and Presenters in the Electronic broadcast medium. They are also trained to be photojournalists, writers and reporters for Radio and the Print Media.